COVID-19 Update: April 24, 2020
Updated: May 1
Hello ECDC families,
The ECDC Board met on Wednesday, April 22 at 4pm to discuss our next moves. As I mentioned in our last update, with 4J closing schools for the rest of the year, the Board is now looking to the Governor’s Stay at Home Order and Social Distancing guidelines for guidance on when to reopen. When we do reopen, we want both you and our Center staff to feel safe and secure.
Latest Reopening Update
With the Governor’s latest executive order 20-19, we will be unable to open on April 29 as previously planned. We have spoken with our licensor who has confirmed that we will be unable to open until the Governor allows child care centers to resume. On May 4, the Governor will release a provisional plan for reopening the State. We will wait to see what this plan stipulates for child care centers, and then make a further decision on when and how to reopen based on that information.
Fundraising Update and Thank you!
We would like to send a huge “thank you!” to everyone who has donated to the Center (whether directly or through our Fundly page) to cover operational costs for April. Those costs were previously estimated at about $10,000. With your support and generosity, we were able to raise almost $14,000. We will be able to cover the costs for April and plan to put the overage towards operational costs for May, in case we have to remain closed through the month of May. If you or someone you know sent the link to someone outside of our immediate community who donated, please make sure to extend our gratitude to them!
Elaine continues to remain in communication with all of our staff members. She checks in with them to see how they are doing and if there is anything they need, as well as update them on the status and plan for the Center. Most of our staff have reported that they are managing, but that they miss our community and their students (we do as well!). If you have been in communication with a staff member, please feel free to reach out to them and let them know that you are thinking of them. We will be planning more classroom Zoom playdates in the near future. If you would like to be in contact with a staff member, please reach out to Elaine. If you haven’t checked out our Facebook community page, please do so. Elaine will be posting updates from staff members there. It’s also been a great tool for connection with other Center families and sharing ideas of how to keep our little ones busy and entertained at home.
Outside Funds Update
As you may have heard, the first wave of federal funding for the Small Business Administration loans and Paycheck Protection Program has been completely allocated already. Fortunately, more money has been allocated to the Paycheck Protection Program and we were able to successfully submit an application with our bank. We are now waiting to hear back on the status of our application. We were not one of the lucky recipients of the Economic Injury Disaster loan, however, our application has not been denied either. We are continuing to track this option, hoping that the Federal Government will dedicate more funding. We are still waiting to hear back on both our Oregon Community Foundation grant application and our insurance claim.
Other funding options have since presented themselves. We will be applying for emergency funds through SAIF to help cover the costs of cleaning and sanitizing the center in preparation for opening as well as when we do reopen, as we anticipate that extra health procedures and provisions will need to be in place. The Oregon State Emergency Board will also be allocating $30 million dollars in coronavirus relief funding. The Board is looking into applying for these funds.
Next Meeting and Communication Timeline
We will send another communication after our next board meeting, which is currently scheduled for April 30 at 4pm. As always, please do not hesitate to reach out to myself or Elaine with any questions or concerns.
Hannah Bulkley, President of the Board
Board of Directors, Eugene Child Development Center