top of page

COVID-19 Update: April 13, 2020

Hello ECDC families,

I hope that you are all staying safe and healthy. I want to provide you with more information on the board’s efforts to navigate the Center through this crisis. 

We are aware of the Governor’s announcement last week to cancel all in-person classes for Oregon schools, and move to distance learning for the remainder of the academic year. As a result, the Board is reconsidering our policy of aligning ECDC schedule with 4J school closures. We will now instead be looking to the Governor’s “Stay at Home” order and social distancing guidelines for guidance on when to reopen. Because the landscape continues to change quickly, we are not currently making any changes to our plan to reopen on April 29th. However, we will continue to monitor the situation and make a decision appropriate to the available information as we move forward.

We also wanted to provide you with an update as to the ongoing Board efforts to secure additional funding for the Center. For example, the Small Business Administration (SBA) is offering low interest loans to help cover operating costs for businesses suffering a lack of income due to the current pandemic. While we recognize that a loan is not an ideal solution, we remain committed to exploring every available alternative to maintain business continuity going forward. To date, we have completed the loan application, and await a decision. However, please note that loan approval is only the first step. Once we know if we have been approved, we will work to reexamine our financial position as well as the prevailing business landscape to determine the optimal path toward reopening the Center.

In addition to the SBA loan, we have also applied for a $10,000 grant that was made available to all eligible applicants.  We will provide an update on both applications when more information becomes available.

Further, we are researching and preparing to apply for the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). This program was just introduced on March 27th, and we are currently working to obtain additional clarity as to some of the details.  For example, up to 100% of the funds obtained through the PPP are “forgivable” if certain criteria are met. The Board is interested in exploring this program as a way to provide stability for our staff, and potentially provide staff with additional opportunities to work on curriculum, training, and classroom preparation. 

We believe it is essential to take care of the people who care for our loved ones, not only to provide them with some much-needed stability during this difficult time, but because without our valued staff, the Center won’t be functional when we are able to reopen.  

Finally, we have filed an insurance claim through our property insurance for loss of business income. This claim has been submitted and we are waiting to hear back on the status.

There are many questions and no guarantees connected with the above options, but the Board feels it is important to do everything we can to care for the Center’s staff, and to alleviate the burden on you, our families, while striving to keep the Center afloat. That being said, we are beyond grateful for the donations we received to cover our April operational costs. Our sense of community is powerful, and we will make it through this together. 

If you have not yet donated, there is still time! Please contact myself or Elaine or fill out the ACH form to authorize a transaction from your account on April 25. (Please note that there have been some issues with the submit button on the form. There are further instructions on the form page.) You can also visit/share our Fundly page to see how we're doing on our fundraising and to encourage your friends and family to donate.

As always, if you have questions please feel free to reach out. If you have information on funding sources you wish to share, please do so. We will continue to keep you updated as our situation evolves. Stay safe and healthy. We look forward to seeing you all in person again!

Thank you,

Hannah Bulkley,  President of the Board

Board of Directors, Eugene Child Development Center

64 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Hello families and prospective families! As we head into summer, we look to the Fall, too. We expect to have a few openings in our Pre-Kindergarten Class as our current crop of five year olds head off

We are offering a $500 hiring bonus! Come check us out. Currently, we are looking for a Lead Teacher for our Infant/Wobbler Room, Teacher's Aides and Substitute Teachers, with either full or part time

Happy New Year from all of us to all of you! Eugene CDC is currently accepting applications for our Wait List. We do have a few openings in Preschool, if you have a 3-4 year old child. Please give us

bottom of page